Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Mad Media World

I have been very busy as of late. This week I have been spending a lot of my time inside the friendly, demanding and I guess I would say ultimately productive confines of The Gray Center the media building on the Hastings College campus.

I was named the Station Manager for 90.1 KFKX in August this year. I have had bumps to go through, but all of the hard work that I have been doing this semester with my staff has really paid off so far. We are doing News Updates twice a week, We are now Podcasting all of our shows on itunes, a new website is in construction and we have even done a community service project. The goals that i have set for the station, be a window for campus and the community, and increase listener-ship, are a definite reality now.

I am also a part of HC Media as a whole however, and it is just about the end of the semester which means it is time for some changes in leadership. Now, KFKX's leadership is not changing this semester, because I still have another year of school, and people are pleased with my performance so far, but the other mediums will be changing. The Collegian is going to have a new editor, HCTV6 a new executive producer and hcworldnews is getting its own new webmaster.

All of these people are my peers, the people who are stepping down, and the people replacing those people. I find this to be a very interesting period of change. As I am going to become the senior leader within the media all of a sudden. OK, not all of a sudden like it was unexpected, but I didn't realize that this was going to happen until today. Just in August I was the new guy, I was learning how to become a Station Manager. Literally, I was learning how to manage about 30 people who are in some way involved with the station, and at the same time recruit new people and get my goals accomplished. So what I am saying is that I looked at how the other leaders carried themselves and manged their own staffs, I was the newbie. Now I am the example, the old oak tree if you will.

I am excited to see how I can help my peers in there new jobs and molding their particular mediums. I think I will feel like a father watching his children grow up, learning all of the things that I just recently did and seeing them become their own leader. I will be there to help, but at the same time I will be there to observe and not ever interfere with any sort of progress.

Soon it will be time for me to leave, well not soon, but in do time I will be gone and the next kid that inspires to be the KFKX Station Manager will be called up from the minors to the show and so goes the cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers